|Department:||Early Years Education|
|Current position:||Assistant Head of Department|
|Location:||Ormskirk Main Campus, Faculty of Education|
Liana is an Assistant Head of Department (Early Years) at the Faculty of Education at Edge Hill University. She teaches across a number of programmes from level 4 to level 7, including Foundation Degree in Early Years and BA Hons Early Years. She also supervises level 7 students on MA Education programme.
Liana completed BA Hons in Education with QTS (1st Class) at Liverpool Hope University followed with an MA in Education in 2008, which she completed with a distinction. At present, Liana is studying towards her doctorate in Education at the University of Chester.
Liana is also a specialist in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. She is fluent in Russian and Georgian languages.
Liana’s aim is to be an inspiration to her students. Galileo Galilei is believed to be the author of the saying: “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.” Liana hopes to inspire, challenge and nurture the minds of her students as they discover and master the art of learning.
Liana’s research interests are mainly in the area of leadership and administration in HE. She is particularly interested in the general interplay between individual, social, political and cultural aspects that shape leadership as well as the issues of neo-liberalism and democratic education.
Liana leads a Leadership Research Group at Edge Hill University. She is a member of Narrative Research Group and ERAS.
- Beattie, L. (2018) “From “clientilism” to transformational leadership? An autoethnographic journey from Soviet Georgia to the UK”, Journal of Organizational Ethnography, https://doi.org/10.1108/JOE-09-2017-0044
- Beattie, L. (2018). “We’re all mad here…” Soviet leadership and its impact on education through the looking glass of Raymond Williams’s cultural materialism.’ International Journal of Educational Development. Vol. 62, pp. 1-8. https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1WZxI2dqBJRcCK
- Beattie, L. (2017). Educational leadership: a nirvana or a battlefield? A glance into the UK Higher Education through the lens of Bourdieu. International Journal of Leadership inEducation. (in press).
- Beattie, L. (2015) Predicaments of fusion and transformation: a journey from Georgia. In Nixon, J. and Evans, L. Eds. Academic Identities and the Changing European Landscape. London: Bloomberg.
- Co-author of Beattie, L., Basquill, J. and Ryan, J. (2011) The EYPS Handbook. London: Pearson
Knowledge transfer and enterprise
- Paper ‘The good, the bad and the ugly of leadership in higher education in the UK: a Foucauldian perspective’ presented at the International Congress on Education and Learning, Paris, 18-21 July, 2018.
- Beattie, L. (2017) Creativity in Educational Leadership: a forbidden fruit? Paper to be presented at 10th International Conference in Critical Management Studies. Liverpool, UK.
- Beattie, L. (2017) Creativity in Education: a Sisyphean task?. Paper to be presented at Edge Hill University Annual Research Conference ‘Children, Young People their Education and Care.’
- Beattie, L. (2013) Identity Crisis? Predicaments and Transformations. Paper presented at the International IISES conference (Italy, 2013)
- Liana is a Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy.