|Name:||Dr Annabel Yale|
|Department:||Early Years Education|
|Current position:||Lecturer in Early Years|
|Location:||Ormskirk Main Campus, Faculty of Education|
- MRes Supervision
- Personal Tutor
- Work-based Learning Lead
- Research Methods
- Supervisor for BA(Hons) Dissertations
- SPY2141 Professional and Personal Reflective Development Module Leader
- EYT3002 Leadership in the Early Years Module Leader
- EYT3004 Researching Early Years Practice
Annabel started working at Edge Hill University as a Psychology Lecturer in 2007 and moved to the Social Sciences Department in 2014 where she lectured in Early Childhood Studies and Childhood and Youth Studies until March 2017. She now works as an Early Years Lecturer in the Faculty of Education and teaches on a variety of courses, including Research Methods, Professional and Personal Reflective Development and Leadership in the Early Years. Annabel also teaches on the collaborative Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Faculty of Education, Early Childhood Studies modules.
- Final stage PhD
- MPhil (2014)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Pre Doctoral Studies (2010)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching (2010)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- BSc (Hons) Psychology, Lancaster University.
- Currently in the final stages of a PhD and writing a number of articles for publication in the areas of student expectations and experiences.
- Young people in higher education
- Personal tutoring in higher education
- The psychological contract in higher education
- Student expectations pre and post fee increase
- Student expectations of employability
- The gap in expectations between tutors and students in higher education
- Connors, E., Hale, L., Hornby-Atkinson, P., Larkin, D., Putwain, D., Sumner, L., Whiteley, H.E. & Yale, A. (2008). Meeting student expectations – bridging the gap between ‘them and us’. 5th Learning and Teaching Symposium, Edge Hill University, December 2007.
- Primary researcher for The Centre for Reading and Language, University of York ‘Reading Aloud’ project led by Dr Sue Stothard. Research undertaken in both primary and secondary schools. Contributed to final publications of the York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension (YARC) published by GL Assessment March 2009 and the Secondary Version of the YARC published in July 2010
- 2012 Woodfield, R., & Thomas, L. (2012). Male students: engagement with academic and pastoral support services. A project commissioned by the Equality Challenge Unit at Edge Hill University in partnership with the University of Sussex. Specific contributions: student focus groups and individual student interviews; Service provider interviews; Online survey development; Accessing service-use data.
2007-2010 Whiteley, H., Yale, A., & Hornby-Atkinson, P. (2010). £10.5K 3 year project with Edge Hill acting as an independent evaluator for the project “Engaging the Disengaged” and working with Lancashire Global Education Centre (funded by Esmee Fairbairn and DFID). Lead Researcher on data collection and analysis using both quantitative and qualitative methods, Steering Group representation, liaising with schools and all partners, conference presentation of interim (2009) and final findings (2010) to LGE conferences. Co-contributor with Helen Whiteley on the Final Report to the authority.
Whiteley, H., Hornby-Atkinson, P., Sumner., L, Connors, E., Putwain, D., Larkin., D, Yale, A. Hale, L and Symes, W. (2008). Assessing the Value of ‘Managing’ the Psychological Contract of 1st year Psychology Students. Report to HEA. November 2008.
Knowledge transfer and enterprise:
Talking About Consent: A Study of the Use and Effectiveness of Consent Talks by Student Unions in Universities. Collaborative Report by Edge Hill Students’ Union and the Department of Social Sciences, Edge Hill University and sponsored by the Institute for Public Policy and Professional Practice (I4P). Specific research methods, data set up and analyses contributions. May 2017.
Yale, A. Student Expectations and Realities of Personal Tutoring in Higher Education. Presented at the Annual Conference for Research in Education (ACRE) Edge Hill University 2016.
Yale, A. The Student Experience of Personal Tutoring in Higher Education. Presented at the British Psychological Society Conference in Education 2010.