This is a time-limited opportunity for support staff working with pupils with SEN and disability (SEN/D) to apply to the Teaching Agency for funding to support their professional development. The aims of the scholarship are to:
- Foster high expectations of those working to support disabled pupils and pupils with SEN in the classroom
- Strengthen knowledge and understanding of SEN and disability, both in support staff and across the school
- Open up career opportunities for SEN support staff and enable them to have more control of their careers
- Share learning, knowledge and expertise across the school system
- Bring about a culture change to create expectations within the sector about the importance of scholarship throughout a support staff’s career
The Scholarship fund is only available for applicants starting new courses or activities between September 2012 and August 2013. The fund is able to support 50% of the cost of your study programme and up to a maximum of £2000.
Support staff are free to choose their preferred course and provider that best suits their needs however the activity should deepen your knowledge of SEN/D and enhance your ability to provide effective support to the teaching and learning of pupils with SEN/D.
To be eligible to apply for the SEN Support Scholarship you must meet ALL the criteria below:
- Work in an eligible school in England*
- Spend at least 50% of your contracted time supporting disabled pupils and pupils with SEN in learning based activities
- Have achieved qualifications equivalent to, at least, full level 3 or hold Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA)
Maintained schools (including special schools)
Non-maintained special schools
City technology colleges
Pupil referral units (PRUs)
Applications open on 30th April. Applications must be made online at https://www.education.gov.uk/schools/sen-support-staff and completed by midnight on 17th May 2012. Successful applicants will be notified by 24th August.
Edge Hill programmes linked to the SEN Support Scholarship are:
For more information or for support in preparing and completing your application for funding please contact Tim Rutter (Assistant Head of PD) at: UGnationalscholarship@edgehill.ac.uk