A fantastic opportunity to study for a 3-year full time funded doctorate whilst gaining valuable teaching experience.
The Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) studentship package is worth just under £26,000 per annum for UK based applicants and over £34,000 per annum for international applicants.
The package includes:
- Overall payment of £17,668 per annum, which is aligned with the UKRI rate. This is split into a salary of £12,168 per annum and £5,500 per annum to contribute to the cost of accommodation.
- Full waiver of research degree tuition fees worth approximately £5,900 per annum for UK postgraduate researchers (PGRs) and £14,000 per annum for international PGRs.
- The opportunity to complete a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education with full waiver of the tuition fee (worth approximately £2,340).
- Entitlement to sick pay, maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave, in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Teaching experience.
- Teaching training from the University’s Centre for Learning and Teaching.
- Subject-specific teaching mentoring.
For their benefit, GTAs are classed as both members of Edge Hill University staff and full-time PhD postgraduate researchers registered within the Graduate School. That means that our GTAs are entitled to all support available to members staff such as maternity, paternity and share parental leave, sick pay in accordance with the institution policies and procedures, the costs of attending conferences both within the UK and overseas covered by the University, teaching experience and training as well as tailored support to help them achieve a career in academia or industry. Tailored teaching mentorship is provided for all GTAs. In addition, GTAs can also access support available for students at the University including the support provided by the University’s Student Services department, careers support, and an extensive programme of postgraduate researcher development.
In comparison to the sector, an extremely high proportion of those who graduate through the GTA scheme at Edge Hill University go on to gain careers in higher education. Edge Hill’s approach to researcher development is designed specifically to prepare our research degree graduates to be extremely competitive in the employment market.
The current recruitment round is for October 2023 entry. Applications open on Monday 28 November 2022 and close at 23:59 (GMT) on Monday 9 January 2023.Graduate Teaching Assistant Studentship job description
View research opportunities by subject
All Postgraduate Researchers (PGRs) are registered in the University’s Graduate School and housed in the faculty or department that is most appropriate for the project on which they are working.