A fantastic opportunity to study for a three-year full time funded doctorate whilst gaining valuable teaching experience.
Our Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) studentship package is worth just over £27,500 per annum for UK based applicants and over £36,000 per annum for international applicants.
What the GTA package includes
- Overall payment of £18,622 per annum, which is aligned with the UKRI rate.
- Full waiver of research degree tuition fees worth approximately £5,900 per annum for UK postgraduate researchers (PGRs) and £14,500 per annum for international Postgraduate Researchers (PGRs).
- The opportunity to complete a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education with full waiver of the tuition fee (worth approximately £3,000).
- Entitlement to sick pay, maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave, in accordance with university policies and procedures.
- Teaching experience.
- Teaching training from the University’s Centre for Learning and Teaching.
- Subject-specific teaching mentoring.
What the GTA package does not include
- Travel costs.
- Visa costs.
- Living costs.
- Any costs for dependants.
- Guarantee of obtaining an accommodation on Campus or in a private rental. The Graduate School can provide support, but you will need to arrange your own accommodation.
Our GTAs are classed as both members of Edge Hill University staff and full-time PhD postgraduate researchers registered within the Graduate School. That means that our GTAs are entitled to all support available to members staff. This includes maternity, paternity and shared parental leave, sick pay in accordance with the institution policies and procedures, costs covered for conference attendance both within the UK and overseas, teaching experience and training, and tailored support to help them achieve a career in academia or industry. Tailored teaching mentorship is provided for all GTAs. In addition, GTAs can also access support available for students at the University including the support provided by the University’s Student Services department, careers support, and an extensive programme of postgraduate researcher development.
In comparison to the sector, an extremely high proportion of those who graduate through the GTA scheme at Edge Hill University go on to gain careers in higher education. Edge Hill’s approach to researcher development is designed specifically to prepare our research degree graduates to be extremely competitive in the employment market.
The next recruitment round for Graduate Teaching Assistant Applications (GTAs) is for October 2024. Applications open towards the end of 2023.
For further information or advice on how to apply for a Visa, visitors and dependants, your rights and responsibilities while in the UK, please visit our dedicated Visas webpage or email the Visa team directly.
Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
Please be advised that for International applicants some research areas require an ATAS background check. More information can be found on the Gov.uk website. This is not required at the point of application. If you need an ATAS background check you will be advised as soon as possible after acceptance and it is your responsibility to obtain one. If an ATAS is needed this is a necessity with regards to your VISA and waiting time can be lengthy so we trust successful applicants to manage the application for this when they have been made an offer. If applying as an International, it is likely applying for an ATAS will form part of the process and The Graduate School are not responsible for the processing of this.
Apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate, to study certain subjects in the UK.Apply for an ATAS certificate
View research opportunities by subject
All Postgraduate Researchers (PGRs) are registered in the University’s Graduate School and housed in the faculty or department that is most appropriate for the project on which they are working.