The Trinity Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CertTESOL) is an intensive four week face-to-face training course for anyone who wants to be an English language teacher. It is designed for people with little or no experience of teaching English, and also for those who have teaching experience but want to obtain an internationally recognised qualification.
The CertTESOL is a widely recognised teaching qualification and it is rated as Level 5 on the Ofqual Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). The course is delivered by experienced English Language Teaching professionals and will prepare you for your first post as an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) or English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teacher.
The course has a minimum duration of 130 hours comprising:
- Six hours of observed teaching practice for each trainee
- Input from trainers on language awareness and how to teach aspects of grammar
- Input from trainers on the four skills and how to teach them
- Guided sessions to help you prepare for teaching sessions
- Classroom observation of experienced practitioners
- Peer observations of fellow course participants
- Feedback and individual tutorials
There are five units of assessment on the course:
Careers and employability
The Trinity CertTESOL is accepted around the world and can help teachers gain employment in a variety of English language teaching contexts. The course is also an excellent way of further developing teaching knowledge for in-service teachers.
Timetable and dates
The course runs daily Monday to Friday and has a duration of four weeks and one day. This final day is the moderation day, when a Trinity Moderator comes in to assess some of your work and interview you. All trainees must attend the moderation day.
As it is a very intensive course, it is recommended that you have no other work or study commitments for the duration of the course. 100% attendance is required, and additional study is expected both in the evenings and at weekends for successful completion of the course.
|Start date||End date||Duration|
|15/11/21||13/12/21||4 weeks, 1 day*|
|13/06/22||11/07/22||4 weeks, 1 day*|
*Please note the 13/12/21 and 11/07/22 are obligatory moderation days.
- Edge Hill University students: £1200
- Non-Edge Hill University students: £1500
- Edge Hill University Alumni: £1200
This fee includes the moderation fee.
Please note: the above fees are for the course only and do not include accommodation. Due to limited capacity, we cannot guarantee that on-campus accommodation will be available. Please contact us as early as possible if you wish to book accommodation for this course.
Applicants to the Trinity CertTESOL course must:
- Be aged 18 years+ at the beginning of the course.
- Hold educational qualifications which would allow entry to a higher education course (equivalent to A Level in the UK).
- Have excellent competence in spoken and written English. Speakers of English as a second or additional language should have a minimum overall ability at CEFR C1 (or IELTS 7+ overall for example). All applicants’ language skills will be assessed through pre-course speaking, writing, and grammar tasks.
How to applyComplete the online form
Providing that you meet the minimum entry requirements (see entry requirements), you will be invited to attend a pre-course interview and to complete the pre-course tasks.
The Language Centre reserves the right to cancel the course if trainee numbers are not sufficient.
All course participants who meet the basic entry requirements on application will be invited to an interview. The interview will consist of a set of questions to explore your reasons for doing the course and essential background information. You will also be asked to complete a set of language tasks. This enables us to find out about your knowledge of the English language.
If successful, you will be offered a place on the course and asked to pay a deposit. We will then send you a set of pre-course tasks to complete and submit prior to the start of the course.