Educational Leadership in Health Settings CPD7004
The purpose of this module is to provide participants with a critical and evaluative perspective on educational leadership in the clinical context. This module will address leadership theories, styles and approaches in the specific context of clinical education and will facilitate the application of theory to practice. Educational leaders can face unique challenges in working across organisational and professional boundaries and participants will be encouraged to apply leadership concepts to their own role and to consider their personal contribution to the development of ‘learning organisations’.
This module is delivered through a blend of online learning and face-to-face sessions.
Please note: this module will not be running in the academic year 2022/23.
|Cost for new students:||TBC|
If your tuition fee is being paid by a sponsor or you are a sponsor paying a student’s fee, you are required to send a copy of a purchase order to [email protected].
For further guidance please visit: Sponsored students – Edge Hill University
Who is this module for?
This module is specifically designed for experienced clinicians and educational leaders studying the field of clinical education at an advanced level. This multi-professional module is suitable for doctors, dentists, nurses and other allied health professionals who are involved in leading and developing education in clinical practice.
What are the key aims of the module?
- To explore the theoretical concepts of educational leadership in the clinical setting, including a range factors which impact on the role of leaders in clinical education.
- Participants will reflect on their own leadership practice and determine how they can enhance their own skills as an educational leader in the clinical context.
What will I study?
This module offers an opportunity to explore key concepts relating to educational leadership, including:
- Theoretical frameworks of leadership, applied specifically to the clinical education context.
- The qualities and behaviours of effective educational leaders.
- Leadership challenges and the role of power, gender and politics in educational leadership in the clinical context.
- National policy and local perspectives that impact on leadership in clinical education.
- The function of leaders in the change process, applied in the clinical education context.
How will I be assessed?
There are no exams on this module. The module assessment will build on what you learn during your studies and you will be required to produce two pieces of academic work to demonstrate your achievement of the module learning outcomes:
1. A critical analysis of factors influencing the role of the educational leader in a chosen clinical area in relation to underpinning theories.
2. A critically reflective assignment offering an analysis of the participants own leadership qualities in the clinical education context.
To successfully complete the module, you will also be required to complete a series of compulsory online discussion activities.
On successful completion you will:
Successful completion of this module will enable you to critically analyse and explore a range of theoretical and practical issues relating to educational leadership in the clinical education context.
You will enhance your knowledge and skills as an educational leader, with the opportunity to review your own professional development needs and to plan and undertake relevant and appropriate activities to meet those identified needs.
How to apply
Module availability varies from year to year and will be subject to minimum student numbers being achieved. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Due to the popularity of some modules it may be that the module is fully booked when your application is received. We will include your details on a waiting list and allocate you a place on the next available intake.
Please note: this module will not be running in the academic year 2023/24.
For further information on module content, please contact the Medical School email on [email protected].