|Course Length:||8 Weeks Full-Time|
|Start Dates:||July 2019, July 2020, July 2021|
|Department:||Faculty of Education|
|Location:||Edge Hill University|
- Develop subject knowledge in English and prepare to teach the subject effectively to learners aged 11-16;
- Study on a programme specifically for applicants with a place on a PGCE;
- Benefit from flexible online study with one evening a week on campus.
- No tuition fees – the programme is funded by the National College for Teaching and Leadership.
If you want to teach English, but have an insufficient level of subject knowledge in your degree to gain entry to the PGCE Secondary English (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS, then our subject knowledge enhancement course could be for you.
The aim of the course is to develop your subject knowledge in English to prepare you to teach the conceptual and applied aspects of the subject effectively, with competence, enthusiasm and confidence, to learners aged 11-16 years. Trainees will be encouraged to prepare for teaching A-level topics where appropriate.
What will I study?
If you have a degree is in a related subject to English, or if your degree contains a small amount of English study alongside other subjects, and you wish to train as an English teacher, then you may be able to enrol on this course.
The course is designed to achieve the following:
- Address gaps in your subject knowledge;
- Inspire you to promote learning in English that is challenging and engaging for all students;
- Identify and build upon your prior learning, and develop your capacity for future self-study;
- Develop your ability to support learners’ understanding of the rich heritage of English language and literature;
- Develop the linguistic and grammatical knowledge that English teachers need;
- Develop the use of appropriate technology in teaching and learning.
How will I study?
The course is divided into individual Units, each requiring 50 hours of learning time, normally within a space of two weeks. This learning will be a blend of face-to-face sessions, online learning, and supported self-study.
How will I be assessed?
There are no formal examinations. You will build a portfolio from directed activities.
You may apply for the course if you have been offered a place on a PGCE at a Higher Education institution in England, or if you are in the process of applying for the PGCE Secondary English (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS at Edge Hill University. Applicants from other providers will normally have a recommendation from their provider to obtain a place on a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course.
There are currently no tuition fees for this subject knowledge enhancement programme which is funded by the National College for Teaching and Leadership. You may also be eligible to receive a bursary.
For further information about bursary eligibility, you can contact a Get Into Teaching adviser on Freephone 0800 389 2500 or use the online chat service at getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/contact.
How to Apply
Apply directly to Edge Hill University.
Should you accept an offer of a place to study with us and formally enrol as a student, you will be subject to the provisions of the regulations, rules, codes, conditions and policies which apply to our students. These are available at www.edgehill.ac.uk/studentterms.
Get in Touch
If you have any questions about this programme, please call 01695 584796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course ChangesExpand All This page outlines any material changes to course content, programme structure, assessment methods, entry criteria, and modes of study or delivery, implemented in the past two years.
21st February 2018 - Change to Modes of Study
The programme will now be offered on an 8-week full-time basis only with one intake per academic year in July.