Getting Your First Post

Teaching First Post

This will be a very busy year for you so to make life a little easier we’ve put all the information you need in this dedicated area. Here you will find links to job vacancies, recruitment information, help with applications and other useful resources etc.

There are a variety of schools in which you could work, these include maintained state schools, academies, faith schools and independent schools. For more information visit the Department of Education

Where to Look for Jobs

The Careers Centre advertises teaching vacancies via the Online Vacancy Service.  Click on Student or Graduate  depending on your current status at Edge Hill. Current students can login using their usual Edge Hill network details and our recent graduates can also gain access to the the vacancies by updating their information.  Just search for Graduate Vacancies, Type of Work – Education.  You can also tick the geographical location in which you prefer to work.

Schools often advertise job vacancies in a number of other places such as:

Teaching Recruitment Pools – A few authorities still operate Teacher Recruitment Pools. The running of these varies from authority to authority but usually candidates apply to the local authority who interview potential candidates. Candidates may then be accepted into the Pool for that authority.  Headteachers then approach the local authority for a recommended candidate when a vacancy arises.  Acceptance into a Pool does not guarantee a job.  Recruitment Pools are usually for primary school candidates, however some authorities do open a database for secondary school candidates wishing to teach in their authority.  Check for closing dates as some close before the end of February each year.

The NUT (National Union of Teachers) website contains useful publications giving  tips and advice from the NUT together with contact details and application procedures for local authorities nationwide.

Teaching Vacancy Websites

Teaching in Schools – Times Educational Supplement independent schools jobs  – Vacancy site for Independent Schools at home and abroad – Regional and national teaching posts – Catholic Teachers Gazette – Jobs in Education  – specialist education recruitment consultancy providing long-term and permanent teaching roles (no supply) in primary, secondary and SEN schools across the UK

Teaching in Further Education
Many FE colleges advertise on their own website however there are a few other sites you may wish to take a look at:
Randstad Education
Capita Education Resourcing

Press Advertisements

Most schools and FE institutions advertise vacancies in:

TES (Fridays)
The Guardian (Tuesdays)
The Telegraph operates a job alert service via email (mainly for independent schools)
The Independent (Thursdays)

Local Press
Advertisements can be found in your local press, especially for short-term or part-time posts

Supply Agencies

View a list of SUPPLY AGENCIES with offices in the North West area and nationwide. Also read up on Supply Teaching FAQs by Dan Warren, of Capita Education Resourcing.

Teaching in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland

Need Help with Applications and Interviews?

Our resources section contains booklets such as ‘How to Apply for a Teaching Post’ written by our Careers Advisers to help you in applying for your first teaching post and coping with interviews. Other titles include:

How to apply for a teaching post in Further Education and Training

Interview Questions for Primary and Early Years Teachers

Interview Questions for Secondary Teachers

and many more…..

NQT Induction Information

The Department for Education has guidance on the statutory induction for NQTs in England.

Useful Information about where you can and cannot undertake your induction year and how working on supply can help towards your induction period is available from Lancashire County Council.

Also check:  Advice on the Time Permitted for Induction Period Completion.

Obtaining your QTS Award Certificate from NCTL & TRN Number

The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL)  issue letters providing your teacher reference number (TRN) and details of the new teacher self service (TSS) web service

It is extremely important that once this letter has been received  trainees should login to TSS to update their personal details and provide a current email address. The NCTL will use this email address to notify you of your QTS award and provide instructions on how you can access your certificate.

The NCTL no longer print certificates and all newly qualified teachers will use TSS to download electronic certificates. If they do not hold an email for you this may cause a delay as it will not be possible to send a notification to you. The link for TSS can be found below.
If you have any queries please email the team on or call the telephone number below.

Teacher Qualifications Unit   Tel:0207 593 5394

National College for Teaching and Leadership
53-55 Butts Road
Earlsdon Park

Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies

The Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies (CCRS) is a course designed for part-time study over a period of 2 years although it can be spread over a longer period – up to five years. The course comprises 8 modules – 6 core and 2 specialist.

More information 

In the local area courses are  offered through the Archdiocese of Liverpool (L.A.C.E.)
L.A.C.E. Course Information Leaflet

Online and Distance Learning Options

TEFL and Teaching Abroad

Find out more about the range of TEFL courses and qualifications. Very informative website providing background information about Teaching English Abroad. How to research schools, what tax you should pay, what to expect in the role.

Download our leaflet:  Teaching English as a Foreign Language from the resources section

Other Opportunities

Teaching in Overseas Schools

  • Read David Toze’s Presentation slides from his visit to Edge Hill in January 2016.  David (an Edge Hill Alumni) is now the  Superintendent at the Manila International School in the Philippines visited Edge Hill and gave advice to anyone considering a career in international teaching.
  • Download the ‘Teaching Overseas‘ booklet written by our Careers Advisers

Obtaining your NQT year overseas

The regulations are very specific. For an overseas school to offer statutory induction it would have to meet the requirements in Regulation 6 (d) of the Induction Regulations.  That is they would have to be a member of a recognised organisation such as:

  • British schools in the Middle East (BSME)
  • Council of British International Schools (COBIS)
  • Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA)
  • National Association of British Schools in Spain (NABSS)

And would have had an inspection within the previous six years by an inspectorate accredited by the Secretary of State which confirms that they comply with the standards issued by the Secretary of State for such schools.

They would then need to find an Appropriate Body for mentoring and quality assuring the process.  This could be a Local Authority, a Training School or the Independent Schools Teacher Induction Panel (if they are members).

If all these requirements are met they could offer induction.

Other Useful Resources

Books in the Library

There are a number of useful books on teaching which are available to borrow from the Ormskirk Campus University Library. See list of books available

Last updated on Last updated on Was this page helpful? Yes NoThanks for your feedback!Please tell us more: