What is a Sandwich Placement?
A sandwich placement is a work placement, which lasts for 12 months. It is usually taken between a student’s 2nd and 3rd years. Students work on a full-time basis and get paid like any other regular employee. It can also be known as “industrial placement”, a “year in industry or an “internship”.
Please note, Careers do not advertise or endorse unpaid Sandwich Placements. If you are considering an unpaid Placement of any kind, please book an appointment with a Careers Adviser to discuss your options.
Edge Hill students on courses within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences are able to undertake a sandwich year.
Why do a sandwich placement?
There are many benefits of undertaking a sandwich placement. These include:
- Having a complete year’s work experience helps you stand out to potential employers in your job applications.
- You will develop specific work-related and general skills such as time management, business awareness, communication and confidence and many more.
- It will help you in your final year at university by enabling you to relate elements of your modules to real-life situations in the workplace.
- You will get experience in applying for jobs – applications, interview skills, assessment centres etc.
- You may also be offered a job when you have completed your degree – many employers like to ‘try before they buy’ by recruiting potential employees via a sandwich placement scheme.
Read more about the benefits of a Sandwich Placement as well as the pros and cons to consider before making your decision.
How to apply
Many companies start recruiting for placement candidates between the September and February of your 2nd year so do your research early.
We have compiled a list of useful sites to help you with your research.
If you study a subject within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences you should speak to your subject representative about the support they can provide you.
You can also book an appointment with a Careers Adviser for help with preparing your application for a placement or for an interview.