On the 22nd of September, Women of Colour Researchers in Scotland: A Mentoring Symposium took place at the University of Glasgow. The day was the outcome of a collaborative funding submission which I contributed to in 2016, as a University of Dundee PhD marketing candidate.

Dr Geetha Marcus (University of Glasgow) and I received £1000 from the British Sociological Association, towards co-organising the Early Career Forum. Our interdisciplinary symposium brought together women from different parts of the UK, including Glasgow, Edinburgh, York, Birmingham and London. The event provided a space for women of colour to meet and share their experiences of conducting research, as well as navigating academic environments.

At the time we submitted the application for funding, I had no idea that once the symposium came around I would have started my exciting new role as a Lecturer in Marketing and Advertising at Edge Hill University. It was great to see the symposium come to life, including by participating and presenting work as an early career researcher myself.

The spirit of the day involved an emphasis on fostering a supportive environment in which attendants could present research, share advice and seek guidance from our key discussants. Following positive feedback, the hope is that the event is the start of continued correspondence and connections between all who attended.