To help you feel prepared for your university studies, we’ve gathered together a range of course related activities including suggested reading and some great things to do right now.
Open the links below to find out more:
The Faculty of Education has created ‘Launchpad’, a unique series of online sessions that will help you to get ready to start your programme in September. Join online to explore areas that will be key in your studies and learn how to master the skills you will need from the ground…..upwards.
Please note, to join each session you will need to have access to Microsoft Teams. You can download Microsoft Teams using the links below:
Upcoming event dates and links as follows:
12 August 4pm: Your Virtual Learning Environment.
Find out more about Blackboard. Access the session here.
12 August 4pm: Academic Writing Bootcamp.
Get to know the basics and pick up some tips! Access the session here.
24 August 10am: Getting Going with Google.
Another chance to develop your digital skills. Access the session here.
The following are some key texts that will help you develop your theoretical understanding of Early Years practice. You are not expected to purchase any of these texts, but you may choose to acquire one or two to begin studying over the summer.
- ANNING, A. CULLEN, J. & FLEER, M. (2015) Early Childhood Education. Society and Culture. London: Sage.
- AUBREY C. (2017) Leading and Managing In the Early Years. 3rd ed. London: Sage.
- BLANCO-BAYO, A. 2020, “”It doesn’t matter because I love you”. A case study examining the interpretation of Behaviour Classification Tables and Positive Behaviour Support models“, Emotional and behavioural difficulties, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 155-168.
- BRUCE, T. (2015) Early Childhood Education 5th Edition. London: Sage.
- DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION (2021) Statutory framework for the early years foundation stage. Setting the standards for learning, development and care for children from birth to five.
- DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION (2021) Development Matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
- EARLY YEARS COALITION (2021) Birth to Five Matters.
- GILLETT-SWAN, J. and COPPOCK, V., 2016. Children’s Rights, Educational Research and the UNCRC: Past, Present and Future. 1st ed. Oxford: Symposium Books.
- HENRY-ALLAIN, L. & LLOYD-ROSE, M. (2021) The tiney guide to becoming an inclusive, anti-racist early educator.
Important programme dates
Ormskirk Programme Start: Tuesday 28 September 2021 2-6pm
Holy Cross Programme Start: Tuesday 28 September 2021 4-8pm
Reading Week: Monday 25 October to Friday 29 October 2021
Christmas: Monday 13 December 2021 – Friday 31 December 2021
Reading Week: Monday 14 February to Friday 18 February 2022
Easter: Monday 11 April 2022 to Friday 22 April 2022
Programme End: Tuesday 26 April 2022
Programme Leader: Laura Gregory, [email protected]
Early Years Support Team: [email protected] or 01695 584730
Edge Hill Admissions Team: [email protected]
Tuition Fees: 01695 584787
Team Finance and Welfare Rights Team: 01695 584502 and 01695 594452
Student Support Help Desk: 01695 584554
Skills Development Team: 01695 584372
Inclusive Services: 01695 584190
[cta-button title=”Read more about your course” url=”https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/early-years-leadership/” /]