What if I have a conviction, caution or I am the subject of an investigation and want advice before applying to Edge Hill University?

*Generally, we are not in a position to give advice directly. The majority of cautions and convictions will not affect your ability to work with children or vulnerable adults. However, serious crimes, for example those involving children or vulnerable adults, offences of a sexual nature, serious violence or dealing drugs, could act as an obstacle (list not exhaustive).

If you have concerns about whether or not your conviction, caution or investigation will prevent you from undertaking a teacher training programme or a placement, you can seek advice from one of a number of organisations, including: Citizens Advice Bureau, a solicitor, Rehabilitation of Offenders organisation (e.g. Jobcheck, NACRO). You can also contact the relevant Professional Regulatory Body, e.g the Department for Education (DfE) for Initial Teacher Training, the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) for Social Work and Operating Department Practice, the General Medical Council (GMC) for Medicine, or the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) for Nursing/Midwifery.

Is any help available when applying for a DBS check?

We provide a service to our students and applicants in processing the DBS application and providing assistance with completion where necessary.

You can contact us by:

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 01695 650950

I already have a DBS check processed by another organisation. Do I need to do another one?

We are only able to accept a previously issued DBS check if the applicant also subscribed to the DBS Update Service. Please click here for further information.

How long does it take to get an Enhanced Disclosure?

The DBS aims to complete 90 percent of Enhanced Disclosures within four weeks, and 100 percent within 60 days. It is your responsibility to initiate a complaint with the DBS if the disclosure is not received within this 60 day guideline.

Please note, Edge Hill University has no control over the length of time a disclosure application takes to complete. In certain cases, the DBS are not able to meet their 60 day target for a number of reasons. For example, if you have a common surname it can take time for the Police to distinguish between one person and another, especially if two people with the same name share the same date of birth.

Other reasons for delay can be if the applicant has lived at several addresses in different areas of the country, or simply if your application is made at a particularly busy time of year. Edge Hill University accepts no responsibility for the time a disclosure application takes to process. If a delay in the disclosure application results in a significant delay in enrolment Edge Hill University will attempt to find an alternative satisfactory solution for all parties concerned. Unfortunately, however, this cannot always be guaranteed.

How will I know when the process is complete?

Once the checks have been completed you will receive a copy of your Disclosure certificate. This will be sent to the address you provided on your application form. If you change address after you have submitted your form, you should make arrangements for the Disclosure to be redirected to your new address.

If there are no convictions or cautions listed you need take no further action. Do not contact us when you receive your Disclosure certificate, but keep it safe, ready for placements; the school, hospital or employer you undertake your placement with may ask you to produce it.

What does Edge Hill do with the information?

Edge Hill University complies with the DBS Code of Practice. Details are available via their website. The DBS issues strict guidelines on the use, storage and disposal of data, and a full list of these guidelines can be obtained from the DBS.

We are unable to accept requests for information on Disclosures from any other organisations, even with your consent, and also taking into consideration the DBS’s advice on Disclosure portability. If such a request is received, it will be politely declined.

In the event that there are convictions or cautions, copies of any provided Disclosure certificates will be securely kept for up to 6 months and then destroyed. See edgehill.ac.uk/study/dbs/cautions.

We only record your Disclosure number on your electronic student record. Provided copies of certificates containing cautions or convictions are filed separately with the Academic Registrar or other senior manager of the University. Only panel members and the DBS Administrator see these. A strict code of confidentiality is maintained. Tutors or other staff will not have access to your details unless you decide to give it to them.

What if I lose my DBS Enhanced Disclosure certificate?

You should keep your certificate safe as you may be required to produce it at any time during your placement by the employer or other organisation where you are working or volunteering.

Edge Hill University cannot accept responsibility for any circumstances arising out of the loss of your Enhanced Disclosure certificate, but we will work with you to minimise the impact of this, and facilitate your application for a new Enhanced Disclosure. All costs associated with this will be paid by you.

Were you born outside the UK or have you lived or worked outside the UK particularly in the last 5 years?

When a DBS check is undertaken, the police authorities in the UK check all records going back to childhood for an individual. Where an applicant was born outside the UK and/or has lived or worked outside the UK, then it is expected that an application will be made by you to the appropriate authorities in the relevant country or countries to establish clearance. You need to be aware that this can be a lengthy process and that this needs to be started as soon as possible.

Please note the Edge Hill University is not able to make these applications on your behalf. You must do this yourself. This can be a daunting process and we would advise you to contact the relevant country’s embassy in London for advice on how to obtain the relevant document.

Not all countries have a centralised police record and are not able to produce a statement of your conduct. In these circumstances, we will work with you to help you obtain as much supporting evidence as possible.

Will I get a refund if I don’t take up my place at Edge Hill?

If you have paid for the check but not completed the DBS application we will be able to provide a refund. However if the DBS application has been completed and reached the DBS, we would not be able to provide a refund.

Last updated on Last updated on Was this page helpful? Yes No Thanks for your feedback! Please tell us more: