The following groups of students are required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure:
- Applicants for programmes of Initial Teacher Training*;
- Applicants for Pre-Registration Nursing/Midwifery/ODP/Paramedic Practice programmes*
- Applicants for Medicine programmes*;
- Applicants for Foundation Degree programmes which include placements with children and/or vulnerable adults*;
- Applicants for programmes which confer a professional qualification (e.g. Social Work) which include placements involving work with children and/or vulnerable adults*;
- All students/trainees who required an Enhanced Disclosure for their programme and have had a break in their studies (i.e. year out, intercalation, deferral) see Student Regulations;
- Edge Hill University students who are required to undertake a work placement as a part of their programme/course, where the employer or voluntary organisation requires an Enhanced Disclosure;
- Edge Hill University Research students where the research involves interviews or group work with young people or vulnerable adults.
Other than those groups listed above, Edge Hill University is not in a position to process Disclosure applications for those who are seeking to find work experience (e.g. Camp America or school experience in advance of applying for a programme of initial teacher training). In these cases, you should discuss with the employer organisation about how to proceed with your DBS Disclosure. You can also contact the DBS directly to find out if there are any ‘umbrella’ organisations that are able to process Disclosure applications for individuals.
If you were born outside of the UK or have spent any time living or working abroad, particularly in the five years prior to the start of your programme, further checks in the country or countries where you have resided are required. If this describes your situation, please refer to the information in the Frequently Asked Questions section.
* Your offer conditions will clearly state whether or not you require a DBS Enhanced Disclosure for entry onto your programme of study.
Shelf Life of Disclosure Certificates
The Disclosure is only truly accurate on the day it is issued. For this reason, any student who takes a break from their studies (intercalation, deferral) is required to obtain a further Disclosure before recommencing their programme.
For students/trainees on professional programmes (Initial Teacher Training, Pre-Registration Nursing, Midwifery, Operating Department Practitioner, Paramedic Practice, Social Work etc) your Enhanced Disclosure is valid for the full duration of your programme as long as you don’t have a break in your studies. However, you should note that any, and every, future employer will require a new Disclosure certificate.
For other students undertaking placements, you may be required to complete a new Disclosure for each placement.
Enhanced Disclosures obtained from other organisations may only be accepted if you have also subscribed to the DBS Update Service.