Reader in Poetry and Literary Translation
I am a poet, translator, critic and editor. I was appointed at Edge Hill University in January 2008, having previously taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses in creative writing, translation theory, film, cultural studies, comparative literature, and contemporary American and British literature at the University of South Florida and at Florida Southern College.
I currently teach and/or lead the following undergraduate modules:
- WRI 1010––Introduction to Poetry
- WRI 1013––Reading the World & The Business of Writing
- WRI 2013––Cultural Economies & The Writer’s Life
In addition, I teach on the MA in Creative Writing.
I gained a distinction in my MA in Creative Writing at the University of South Florida, where I also completed a BA in Philosophy and studied for a PhD (ABD) in English Literature and Literary Translation.
- Creative Writing Pedagogy
- Translation Theory
- Poetry Translation and Poetry in Translation
- Contemporary American and World Poetry
Some Recent and Forthcoming Publications
- I am the author of several collections of poetry and translations, including Blumendürre––Visionen Einer Reise (PP, 1996); Geschlüpfte Kreaturen (PP, 1997); Panta Rhei (Alpha Beat Press, 2000); Blue Opium, Panta Rhei, and Camera Obscura (Infinity, 2001); In an Abandoned Room: Selected Poems by Georg Trakl (Erbacce Press, 2008); The Possible Is Monstrous: Selected Poems by Friedrich Dürrenmatt (Black Lawrence Press, 2010); The Oldest Hands in the World (Black Lawrence Press, 2010); Mass Graves (XIX-XXII) (The Knives, Forks and Spoons Press, 2011), and Oppressive Light: Selected Poems by Robert Walser (Black Lawrence Press, 2012).
- Forthcoming books: The Collected Works of Georg Trakl (Black Lawrence Press, New York), Mass Graves: City of Now (The Knives, Forks and Spoons Press), and Mass Graves: A Confession.
- My individual works (poems, essays, articles, reviews, and short stories), as well as my translations from the German by Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Georg Trakl, and Robert Walser, have been featured or are forthcoming in numerous journals, magazines, newspapers and anthologies worldwide, including Absinthe: New European Writing; The Adirondack Review; ARCH; The Baltimore Review; The Book of Hopes and Dreams (Bluechrome, 2006); Cantilevers: Journal of the Arts; Companion to Twentieth-Century British Poetry; The Cortland Review, Encyclopedia of American Indian Literature; Encyclopedia of Jewish American Literature; Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century World Poetry; Gradiva: International Journal of Italian Poetry; Italian Americana; Jacket; The Ledger; Lilliput Review; The Mailer Review; Poetry Salzburg Review; The Other Voices International Project; The Pedestal Magazine; Poetry International; 32 Poems Magazine; Poetic Voices Without Borders 1&2 (Gival Press, 2005, 2009); Style: A Quarterly Journal of Aesthetics, Poetics and Stylistics; Sunscripts; Versal; and Verse Daily.
Edited (Books and Journals)
- I am the co-editor of Härter, a prominent German literary magazine; and Publisher and Faculty Advisor for The Black Market Review; as well as former translations editor of The Adirondack Review; editor-in-chief of Saw Palm: Florida Literature and Art; Niederngasse: Die Zeitschrift für Lyrik (Switzerland), and The M.A.G.: International Literary Review (United States).
- Website: www.danielepantano.ch