What Do We Mean by Equality and Diversity?
We believe in respect for and celebration of difference, and aim to enable each individual to achieve their maximum potential. We use the words equality and diversity to reflect our ambition to use inclusive practices to ensure that people are treated equally with dignity and respect and are able to compete effectively in the job market.
It is illegal to discriminate against people at work on the grounds of:
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
Other areas of diversity include:
- Political and ethical groups
- Refugees and asylum seekers
- Social and class issues
- Transsexual and transgender issues
Many employers, especially in the public sector, are actively seeking a workforce that reflects the diversity of the general public.
More information on each of these issues can be found in the ‘Handling Discrimination’ section of prospects.ac.uk and Target jobs http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/equality-and-diversity.
What Help is at Hand?
Our Careers Advisers have expertise in diversity issues and Sue Hepworth is the Careers Adviser who specialises in issues relating to diversity.
You can make an appointment with any of our Careers Advisers by phoning 01695 584866. You can also obtain information and advice by email using our E-mail a Careers Adviser facility or make an appointment for telephone guidance.
Help When Considering Employers
- Employers want to ensure they get the best person for the job, but it is just as important that you research them too. Here are some aspects to look for:
- Does the visual image of the organisation reflect diversity, i.e. does their publicity feature black and Asian people, women and disabled employees?
- Does the company website have a diversity section?
- Can they demonstrate a track record in employing and retaining employees who reflect diversity?
- Does the company belong to relevant organisations e.g. the Employers Forum on Age?
- You can also ask questions at the interview stage. For example:
- Do you have work-life policies and are they well used?
- Could you tell me where I can find information about the company’s values?
- Can you give me some examples of women/disabled/minority ethnic employees who have been promoted to senior management roles?
- Is a prayer room available?
- Could you tell me about any staff support groups that you have.
- Do you allow non-Christians time off to celebrate religious festivals?
Last updated: 11-Oct-2013